Timing Chain/Sprockets Replacing Question

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 15:03:46 EST

I am just curious concerning the replacement of the timing chain and sprockets
on
my Dakota. On my previous vehicle, the timing chain busted at 105,000 miles
and caused enough damage that basically the engine was scrap metal, and I DO
NOT
want this to happen to my Dakota. I currently have 100,500 miles on it and
have
been seriously thinking about replacing the timing chain and sprockets. My old
car
had no signs of a loose or worn chain, neither does my Dakota, so I would feel
better just knowing I have a new one on.
My question is should I plan on also replacing the sprockets?? Do the teeth
wear down that much that I should? The cost isn't a factor of the sprockets,
but I would like to have them when doing the timing chain replacement, so if
the factory
sprockets are worn, I will have them if needed.
 Also, should I pop in a new distributor when doing this? I am just not sure
how much wear the distributor will have and if it will be necessary to replace
it. Once, again, the cost doesn't matter, just want to to replace it if I
should.
Last one.....any one know how much these parts will run for my 93 4x4 V6????
Are the majority of the parts going to be 'dealer only' items??? THANKS!!!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6