Plenum spacers, airflow turbulence, etc.

From: Donald Hoyt (don.hoyt@pmail.net)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 00:55:49 EST

DAKsters,

A 1996 Mopar Muscle article (not in front of me, but I can provide exact date/page in next few days) on Dak perf. improvements referenced a company in Michigan named RC Performance or RC Performance Engineering. They did some neat stuff, like make an inexpensive plastic, drop-on-the-throttle-body gizmo that supposedly altered the incoming airflow to provide a few extra HP. The effect was similar to what has been attributed to a plenum spacer, only this wonderthingie fit on top of the TB.

RC also drilled out the injector bosses that Mother Mopar so kindly put in the M1 aluminum intake manifolds, and fitted injectors to them. I have read that Indy Cylinder Head will also fit injectors to M1's. Is anyone out there in Dakland running an M1 with injectors?? Who did the fitment work? Did you notice torque or mileage improvements?

A friend recently called the phone number listed for RC in the Mopar Muscle story, and it's been disconnected. I've not seen any recent mention of them in advertisements or stories, either, so I wonder if they went belly-up. Anyone know?

Plenum spacers are a known quantity in the carbureted world - they help isolate the carb from manifold heat and lengthen the intake path. I've often wondered if they'd help a port-injected engine. Modern synthetics (plastics) make better spacers than metal because metal transfers heat so well, and heat makes the incoming air charge less dense. You'll note that Chrysler is using a synthetic intake manifold on the new 4.7 liter OHC small-block that is to replace the 318 in trucks this year.

Don

Free Email and Home Pages, UK News, Sports and a whole lot more....
Get a free PersonalMail account from http://www.Pmail.net/register

My PersonalMail: Donald Hoyt <don.hoyt@pmail.net>