Re: RE: Cable Modem

From: HEMI@charter.net
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 00:31:41 EST

At 10:59 PM 2/9/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Cable Modems are still considered a "New Idea" by corporate standards. (The
>same goes for ADSL.) ISDN has been the choice for most home users since the
>overall and initial cost are much less than the above.

Excuse me ?

It costs more to have ISDN than a cable modem last time I checked .

ADSL will die , too high in the equipment costs .

  You can also push
>the ISDN modems/routers up to 230K UP/DOWNLOAD without any problems..this
>does depend on the site though.

You can push a cable modem over 2-3Mbps without any problems regularly .

 I've been running my old BitsurferPRO with
>a TurboPort 920 card (16750UART CoProcessed Serial Card) at 230K for the
>past 2 years without any problems..and this is also taking into
>consideration that I run an NT Proxy Server at home for three different
>workstations (all running DHCP with full access to the internet and email).
>Cable modems can be setup to do this as well, but with some
>difficulty...Home ADSL uses a static IP and does not allow Proxy Servers
>since it communicates with ISP via IP Translation through the routers.
>
>Pro's/Cons:
>
>Cable Modems - Fast, but highly susceptible to "slowdowns" due to increased
>client usage over smaller backbone.

This really depends on the backbone .

Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net