RE: 1996 Fog lights need replacing...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 18:49:46 EST

At 06:16 PM 2/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> >What size are your driving lights? PIAA has a couple of styles
>> that combine
>>
>> Ummm, about the length of a McDonald's napkin by a McDonald's napkin
>> folded in half plus my pinkie finger... ;-) I guess I'm gonna have
>> to actually take a ruler or tape of some type out to the truck before
>> I decide what lights to buy. :-) I think I've got clearance for
>> about 6.5"x3.5".
>
>I thought the saying was, "measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut
>with an axe."

  Yep, that's the ticket. :-)

>According to the Performance Corner catalog I have, the size of the 940
>series fog/driving is 3-9/16"H x 7"W x 3-3/4"D. There is also a 90 series,
>but that one is 9-3/4"W and it's also twice as expensive.

  Bummer. I'll have to measure more precisely, but I don't think I've
got 7" worth of clearance.

>> Hmm, sounds interesting. From what I've heard PIAA is a quality
>
>> product too. Any idea how much they cost? The Mopars appear to be
>
>> $78 each.
>
>Hmmm... the 940s are listed at $220 for the kit, although I don't think this
>catalog has the best prices around. That includes all the wiring, which you
>wouldn't need. Even so, that's pretty expensive.

  Ouch! Yep, maybe time to give those Wal-Mart lights another look. :-)

>> Yep, that's a possibility too, but it sort've sounds like an accident
>
>> waiting to happen, knowing me... ;-)
>
>I've seen several low-profile lights that you can mount like Ned Vogler did.
>It looks like he didn't have to do much more than drill a couple of holes.
>The FET Catz lights he has are also pretty expensive, but I've seen the same
>shape in other brands.

  Yep, I saw a pair shaped like that in a few places too. My main
concern though is to get something that'll fill up the stock holes
without looking too strange. I suppose I could always put some square
fog lights there and get some low profile driving lights shaped like
the ones Ned has. (Don't want it to look to ricey though.) :-)

                                               -Jon-