Re: Hit 5000k - ATTN: Randy D.

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 18:52:16 EST

Randy Drew wrote:
>Hey what do you know about Canadians going down to America to work and
>visa stuff? any info will help. Can i take my Dak?

Hi, Randy

Your name did come up at Speedorama and everyone was wondering
where you were ... a bit of concern since no one had heard
from you on the list for about a week.

It's my understanding that you would need a letter from the
U.S. employer stating that you have been hired by them ...
probably in the form of a one year contract. It's a lot
easier now because of NAFTA. You will need a work permit
(Canadians do not need a visa for the U.S.) which would be
good for one year. After a year, the work permit (green card)
will have to be renewed. It's at this point that the employer
will have to prove(?) that they could not find any U.S. applicant
who qualifies for your position.

As for taking the Dakota, I'm also under the understanding
that it's okay for a year ... mainly for insurance reasons
if you have a annual policy. Eventually, you'll have to
register and insure it down there.

The U.S. Embassy is in Ottawa but there is a U.S. Consulate
in Toronto. You should be able to get information from the
Consulate. Do a web search for "Consulate General of the
United States" or look them up in the phone book.

My personal experience may be different from your situation.
I was contracted by a firm in Ottawa but the work was to done
in OK during a 10-month period. I was given a letter by the
Ottawa company which I showed to the airport immigration (they
didn't know what was going on and did not seem to care!).
The relevant answers that I had to give them was that I was being
paid in Canadian dollars and that my main residence was still
in Canada.

Sounds that this may be a permanent thing. Hate to see you go.

Take care.

Bob, Burlington, Ont.