Re: Dakota not running to good

From: gary palmer (palmergj@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 21:27:24 EST

I have a 1987 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9L V6 and an automatic tranny.
whenever I go to start my truck I have to
press the gas at least two three times for it to even start, and if I
don't then
it will just keep cranking. Whenever I drive it like on the highway or
some long rode
and then slow down to a stop light it wants to stall. I have to let it
warm up for like
10 min. before I drive it, for it too even run decent. I was wondering
is there
a problem with my carb., and can it be fixed. If it isn't my carb than
would you
have any other suggestions about what might be wrong. Thanks ALOT!!!

I have an 87 LE with 174,000 and it always take at least three or four
pumps while cranking it to get it started in the morning. It also takes
a few minutes to warm up, but then mine runs good the rest of the day.

Could be a fuel delivery problem of some kind. Have you checked your
fuel filter recently? If it has the original gas pump that might need
to be replaced. Neither is a hard job on an 87. Carb could also need a
rebuild. I would also check your plugs/wires/cap&rotor. If mine aren't
almost perfect I can tell. Course that might be because i'm a fanatic
about my Dak!