Re: Dakota not running to good

From: Boog318@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 09:36:57 EST

In a message dated 2/11/99 9:09:00 PM EST, DViperV12@aol.com writes:

> I have a 1987 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9L V6 and an automatic tranny. It has
> about
> 98,000 miles on it. Here is my problem, whenever I go to start my truck I
> have to
> press the gas at least two three times for it to even start, and if I don't
> then
> it will just keep cranking. Whenever I drive it like on the highway or some
> long rode
> and then slow down to a stop light it wants to stall. I have to let it warm
> up for like
> 10 min. before I drive it, for it too even run decent. I was wondering is
> there
> a problem with my carb., and can it be fixed. If it isn't my carb than
would
> you
> have any other suggestions about what might be wrong. Thanks ALOT!!!
> --------------
I had a prob similar to this on my ol 87 Dak. On the front of your carb in
the accelerator pump there is a mixture control solenoid. There are two wires
coming out of the side that go to a pig tail socket. Unplug this connection
and then disconnect your pos. battery cable for a few minutes. You may have
to drive it for a few miles before it stops stalling at the lights. Gas
milage will go way down (12 mpg), but it wont stall. If this solves the
problem, you need a fuel mixture control solenoid. You can get this at any
good parts store.
Hope this helps.
Boog
92 4x4 318/518