Re: Timing Chain/Sprocket Replacing

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 11:28:06 EST

>I am just curious concerning the replacement of the timing chain and sprockets
>on my Dakota. On my previous vehicle, the timing chain busted at 105,000 miles
>and caused enough damage that basically the engine was scrap metal, and I DO
>NOT want this to happen to my Dakota. I currently have 100,500 miles on it and
>have been seriously thinking about replacing the timing chain and sprockets.
>My old car had no signs of a loose or worn chain, neither does my Dakota, so I
>would feel better just knowing I have a new one on.

Kyle -
        You´ll notice a big improvement in power when your running on the cam
again, instead of 5 or 10 degrees retarded (cam timing).

>My question is should I plan on also replacing the sprockets?? Do the teeth
>wear down that much that I should? The cost isn't a factor of the sprockets,
>but I would like to have them when doing the timing chain replacement, so if
>the factory

I replaced the stock chain with the Mopar Performance double-row chain -
like two
motorcycle chains next to each other - and it comes with a set of
sprockets. It´s
not noticeably noisier, and from what I hear, lasts longer than the stock
Hi-Vee
chain. Supposedly less friction too. The MP sprockets can be indexed by using
different keyway notches to move the cam +/- 5 degrees, I think.

>sprockets are worn, I will have them if needed. Also, should I pop in a new
>distributor when doing this? I am just not sure how much wear the distributor
>will have and if it will be necessary to replace it. Once, again, the cost
>doesn't matter, just want to to replace it if I should.

I didn´t replace the distributor, still going at 155k indicated (170 actual?).

>Last one.....any one know how much these parts will run for my 93 4x4 V6????
>Are the majority of the parts going to be 'dealer only' items??? THANKS!!!!!
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Pretty certain it´s the same part for a V6 or V8.

When you get it, pick up a new timing chain gasket, the short hose going
from the
water pump to the block, thermostat, and if you´re ambitious, hoses and water
pump - you´ll be taking all that apart anyway. You don´t need a new oil pan
gasket,
the factory rubber gasket is the best you can get - just clean it well, and
put a dab of
silicone seal in the corners. Oh, and keep the fan clutch horizontal after
removal,
or the Si stuff leaks out (or so I´ve heard).

Jim
´93 4x4 V8 CC