R/T Bad Vibes solved?

From: |< R |> (krp@netnitco.net)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 13:45:39 EST

Took my R/T in today to investigate a few drops of diff fluid
appearing where I park. I mentioned a vibration at "highway
speeds", and said it wasn't the tires, it felt like a driveshaft. Told them
I knew someone who had a similar problem and it took out his rear
tranny seal. He said he would check it out. They checked all the
tires, and found them in balance (duh). The service guy said he
replaced the pinion seal which was leaking, and ordered a NEW
driveshaft. He said he didn't trust it, and knew of a similar incident
involving a driveshaft out of balance and a rear tranny seal. I asked
about just having it balanced (since the driveshaft in the truck was
out of balance when new), he said that my truck would be out of
service for a few days while the shaft was sent to a machine shop
(this wouldn't have been a problem for me). So he decided to order
me a new shaft. When it comes in and is installed I'll update the
situation. I had called a few driveline shops in the area and was
quoted $60 to remove, balance, and reinstall the shaft. Bottom line: if
you have the vibe don't drive at speeds where it occurs until it is
fixed.

'98 IB R/T CC

|{eith R. Phelps
krp at netnitco dot net