Re: Problem with Tire Spin

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sat Feb 13 1999 - 12:56:26 EST

I have a '92 Dak CC 2wd w/318 w/auto w/3.55's w/LSD and it spins VERY easily
on damp roads. My tires are getting a little smooth, tho'. However, even
when I had brand new 235/70's on the truck (General XP2000's), it would
still break them loose on dry pavement with just a little throttle, and
chirp the tires on the upshift at 45mph. The problem is that the Dak is
just too light in the rear, esp. with a V8. I imagine with your V6 and open
diff. that it is similar. It gets really dangerous when there hasn't been
any rain for a long time and oil residue builds up on the road surface -
then with a light rain it is very difficult to drive.....

Somewhere on www.dakota-truck.net I saw where someone had built some
home-made traction bars for the Dakota and claimed they worked really well -
I haven't been that concerned with my traction to try something like that
yet. I figure some 8" wheels with some wide performance tires should get me
enough traction in the dry, and I'll just have to take my chances in the
wet.

It's kinda embarrassing when your sitting at a stop sign waiting to cross a
busy road and your buddy is riding with you. He says, "c'mon you got a V8,
you can beat that traffic coming from both ways!" Well, if I had TRACTION I
certainly could, but as it is, I can either feather the pedal and slowly
cross the road, or I can give it a little gas and spin my tires and slowly
crossing the road. I'd put 300lbs. in the bed to get traction, but don't
want to lose my mileage - it's really a Catch22 :(