Home Grown Billet Grill (Long)

From: bnich@bellatlantic.net
Date: Sat Feb 13 1999 - 18:09:10 EST

I can't remember whos idea it was, but last year someone had the
suggestion of putting door edge moulding on the black grill edges for a
billet look. At the time I thought it was pretty hokey. Well I gota tell
ya, I did it today and it looks excellent. I also needed to get a grill
for the opening in my Stillen Bumper Cover and was ready to order $300
worth of grills when I remembered that post. (Thank you who ever it
was!)
I also made a grill using the same stuff for my Bumper Cover Opening
This is how I did it if anyones intrested in saving a couple bucks:
* When you open the hood youll see 2 bumper bolts, I used them for
mounting the verticles
* I took 2 pcs of 1/8 x 1 1/4 x 7" alum. flat stock and drilled 2
clearance holes for the bumper bolts
* I spaced out 4 pcs ob 1/2 x 1/2 alum. angle and pop rivited it to
the 7" flat stock verticles.
* painted the whole deal flat black (do a test install to make sure the
holes line up 1st)
* Then push on 4 of the dooer edge mouldings, bolt it up and your done
The door edge I used is more rounder than flatter edge and has a nicer
look than the flat stuff.

The whole deal for the both grills including the base for the Bumper
Cover opening cost me $17 for the mouldings (2 in a pack 29" long)
and $26 for the alum at Home Depot.
John Steiger, you ready for another picture????
Thought some of you might be intrested.
Regards,
Bob Nichols (Bob Mankin, you buy a grill yet????)