Re: Getting Blown

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sun Feb 14 1999 - 18:37:19 EST

It's been a while, but I'll try:

A roots-type blower (what most street machines and Pro Streeters run) sits
between the carb (throttle body) and intake manifold. It contains 2 or 3
blades that mechanically compress the air as it moves thru the system, thus
force-feeding air into the intake manifold at a pressure somewhat higher
than atmospheric pressure.
Advantage: Looks cool, sounds cool.

Paxton is more like a turbocharger in that it sits external to the intake
and force-feeds air into the carb (throttle body). Difference is that a
turbocharger is powered by exhaust gases, whereas the Paxton is powered by a
belt-drive coming off the engine. (technically, a supercharger is a
turbocharger).
Advantage: Fits completely under the hood for a modest look, or for a
sleeper look (you don't feel embarrassed driving it to church :^)

This is my understanding of the 2 systems - anybody more educated on this
want to elaborate or correct me?