Re: Getting Blown

From: bnich@bellatlantic.net
Date: Sun Feb 14 1999 - 20:50:08 EST

mrdancer wrote:

> It's been a while, but I'll try:
>
> A roots-type blower (what most street machines and Pro Streeters run) sits
> between the carb (throttle body) and intake manifold. It contains 2 or 3
> blades that mechanically compress the air as it moves thru the system, thus
> force-feeding air into the intake manifold at a pressure somewhat higher
> than atmospheric pressure.
> Advantage: Looks cool, sounds cool.
>
> Paxton is more like a turbocharger in that it sits external to the intake
> and force-feeds air into the carb (throttle body). Difference is that a
> turbocharger is powered by exhaust gases, whereas the Paxton is powered by a
> belt-drive coming off the engine. (technically, a supercharger is a
> turbocharger).
> Advantage: Fits completely under the hood for a modest look, or for a
> sleeper look (you don't feel embarrassed driving it to church :^)
>
> This is my understanding of the 2 systems - anybody more educated on this
> want to elaborate or correct me?

Thanks for the info. Well explained. I'd rather not have anything
stickin out of the hood. Would it be safe to assume that running a
paxton wouldn't require any additional maint or cause any breakdowns on
a daily driver. Any way of turning it on or off? Would any other Mods
need to be done to suport the paxton? Are there any draw backs?
Thanks, Bob Nichols