RE: Air Intakes: 360 vs. Cone

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 10:14:02 EST

Tony,
Must be that extra 400 lbs the Durango has to carry around!! Im still
dinking on a cold air box for the quick D! Got a design but havnt had the
time to do any fabbing yet! shooting for the ultimate solution to inlet air
"conditioning" for the Dak!
On another note, I installed the JBA head pipes on Saturday! The good news
is that IMHO, I think, It appears to me that... They underestimated the HP
increase with the new headpipes!!! YES!! The Butt dyno, jaded as it is,
says big improvement to midrange and top end!! finally! Once you get
those old nasty crimped head pipes off you can see why! Looks like the Pipe
benders union was a little short on quota when they designed the Dak R/T
(and regular Dak) head pipes! Lots of extra crimp bends... The worst part
about it for R/T owners is that when they put the clamps on the cat they
crimped the pipes down to about 1.5" diameter if that!!! Seriously! Its
miserable! and it may be worse on YOUR TRUCK! its a variable thing truck
to truck! If you want to go faster, PUT THE Y PIPE or HEAD PIPES ON!! ATR,
JBA EDELBROCK, KB etc. doesnt matter, just toss the factory stuff! Im not
sure if the dual inlet cat isnt a better setup than the single inlet
(although a single 3" has more area than 2 2"s) But I cant imagine getting a
whole lot more improvement out of the set up with a bigger diameter...
Gotta get to the dyno! Made the truck considerably louder in a real nice
kinda way too!!
Sorry, got a little excited! Biggest improvement since the TBmod!
BKB