RE: re: new truck-tire wear

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 11:16:19 EST

Wayne,
You are correct that the tire pressures listed on the door jamb are for the
"normal" sized tires. BUT, the tire pamphlet that is included with the
owners manual, warantee manual, blah blah blah, also lists 35 lbs. front and
rear for the 31X10.5 tires on the T&H Package.

I have been using these settings now for just over 18000 miles and my tires
have even wear all the way across, and no cupping. I also run my truck
unloaded 95% of the time. The only weight on the back end of the truck is a
SnugLid and a Rhino Liner and I seriously doubt they weigh enough to make
any difference on an otherwise unloaded truck. I have looked at the contact
patch by using white chalk across the tires, plus the print left after
driving across damp cement. I always leave even marks, hence my tire wear. I
am running 35 lbs. front and rear. Now to be honest, I did notice some
slight feathering of the edges of the front tires at 3000 miles, but this
has not been the case since the dealer paid for an alignment, and rotated
the fronts to the rear. The tires on the front are pristine.

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Leach Headers, DDBC, T&H Package