Re: Do you turn off overdrive for "city" driving?

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 15:41:36 EST

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:50:11 -0600
From: Mike Crumley <mcrumley@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: DML: Do you turn off overdrive for "city" driving?

At 10:37 PM 2/16/99 , you wrote:

>I wonder what fraction of Dakota drivers turn off overdrive in city
driving

I do if I'm going to be at a speed where the trans just shifts into
OD.
There are a couple of stretches of road where the speed limit is 45.
I like
to turn off OD before I hit them since that speed is where the trans
shifts
into OD and I feel the RPMs are just too low. Otherwise, around town
where
the speed limit never gets above 35 or 40 the trans doesn't shift
into OD
anyway.
Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

My 97 V8 will shift into OD around 30 mph and idles around town. I
checked with the service rep at my dealer and he said the only reason
to lock out the OD in town is for 'driveability'. They have not had a
OD failure in late model Dakotas or Rams.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com
Victoria, B.C.
Canada