Re: Do you turn off overdrive for "city" driving? -Reply

From: Mitzi & David Fishman (fish@ihot.com)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 23:16:53 EST

> From: "mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes)" <msykes@su.edu>
>
> I don't... I figure the whole Oz. of gas I save will come in handy someday
> =)

After watching this thread about offing the OD for 'round town driving,
I wondered if it would hose gas mileage. So I experimented today on the
way home from work. In a 40mph zone with OD on, I checked my computer.
It showed 13.1mph instant. I changed nothing put pushed the OD off
button and my computer went up to 13.8mph instant. Hmmm...interesting.
So, I decided to see what would happen on the freeway. At 65mph, on a
relatively flat stretch of road with OD on, the computer read 17.2. OD
off, and computer went to 18.
Not a scientific study, but it *appears* that gas mileage actually
improves with higher rpms. Make sense, or am I lying again?

Anybody else play with this?

fish
99slt+ccv84x4