78% burned mixture

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 21:30:14 EST

true it would be hard pressed to see 100% from a stock car. however, I
think 78% is a bit low..... It just screams pollution police come and
beat me now...

-If you were letting 22% of the fuel mixture out of the engine and into
the converter, that sucker would be glowing red all day long. The
emissions on our engines are designed to be measured in parts per
million, with hydrocarbons being the mainstay of unburned fuel. Most
cars that fail emissions tests for HC is not because the converter is
not doing its job properly, it's because the engine is running too
rich. Fix the running rich problem, you fix the emissions. The
converter only touches up the HC count.
  I have tailpipe tested many cars that have no converters either
because they were removed, or were never equipped that way, and quite a
few well designed and built engines run extremely clean. Shoot, my
wife's Geo Tracker tested 0 on HC and CO. OBD 2 cars have a pre and
post converter O2 sensor. Have someone with a scanner hook up to your
computer and read the 02 count if you think these things run that rich.
  There'd be some awful rich converter companies if all this nonsense on
78% was true. IMHO.
Patrick