Re: Water Pump Bypass Hose

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 10:28:21 EST

<< Hello DML'ers:
         Several months ago I replaced the water pump on my 92 CC 5.2L, because it
was
 leaking from the weephole. However, at that time, I did not replace the
water
 pump bypass hose. (I actually didn't even know there was a bypass hose at
 that time.). Anyway, as I was driving around town last night, and "got on
it"
 once or twice, I started smelling coolant. When I got back home, the truck
 was steaming slightly from the area near the top of the water pump, but I
 could not tell exactly where it was leaking. It was dark, and it's difficult
 to see in that area.
         I think that the most likely cause is a ruptured or split bypass hose, but I
 won't know for sure until I take the accessories off tomorrow. My question
 for the group is - is the bypass hose just a regular piece of heater hose, or
 is it a "shaped" piece of hose made especially for the bypass tube
 application. ( I don't remember from when I replaced the pump.) If it's a
 regular piece of hose, no problem. But, if it's a custom piece of hose, then
 I need to get one today, before the local Dodge dealer shuts down the parts
 counter for the weekend.

Well I am not sure if this helps, but I would go to your local dealer and have
them call it up on their computer schematics and see what it looks like. If
you still cant see if it is a molder hose or a normal hose, have them pull the
part for you. I have done this alot at my dealer just to see what length
bolts/screws are in some kit. Just have them pull the part so you can verify
it and but it if you need it. Good Luck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6