Transmission gearing and gear ratio

From: Boog318@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 11:45:27 EST

Ok heres something out of the July 98 High Performance Mopar Magazine:
They are gonna throw a 518 into a Road Runner.
These guys compare the A-500 and the A-518 which is the hydraulic version of
the newer A44RE (A-500) and A46RE (A-518).

Gearing Table:
                A-500 A-518
1st 2.74 2.45
2nd 1.54 1.45
3rd 1.00 1.00
OD 0.69 0.69

Torque multiplication table with 3.55 and 3.92:

           Effective overall gear ratio
                 A-500 A-518
                3.55 3.92 3.55 3.92

1st 9.73 10.74 8.70 9.60
2nd 5.47 6.04 5.15 5.68
3rd 3.55 3.92 3.55 3.92
OD 2.45 2.71 2.45 2.71

We know that for the gear ratio in the differential, say 3.55, for every
revolution of the drive shaft, the axle turns 3.55 times
So if I am interpreting this right, then in 1st gear (A518) one revolution of
the planetarys turns the output shaft (hence the driveshaft) 2.45 times which
turns the rear axle 8.7 times.
Comparing to the A500; One revolution of 1st gear turns the drive shaft 2.74
times which turns the axle 9.73 times.
That would mean the A500 has more torque in 1st then the A518. It seems that a
318/500/3.92 Posi would be a killer combo, but even this article says the A518
has more torque capacity.

There has to be something else involved. Like the engine maybe? Torque
Converter?
(Charelton Heston Mode-on)
God...Someone please help me make some sense of this!
I WANT THE KNOWLEDGE!! Dammit! Why cant I FIGURE this OUT!
(Charelton Heston mode-off)
One thing that is easily understood. When you are running in overdrive your
final gear ratio is 2.83 which turns our Daks into guttless wonders at low
speeds. I have always turned my OD off until I hit at least 50mph and can
sustain it. The previous owner didnt know any better and even ran around in
4wd with OD engauged. Thats why I got a new trans at 53k. Thank God for that
warranty! I'd rather frequent the gas station then the tranny shop. I get
about 13-14 running around town (no OD) and the best on the hiway was 19.3.

I hope someone out there can finish up on this and explain the differences
between trannys.
I must rest now, all this damn thinking is too much for a Friday!
BOOG