RE: short belt

From: Jason Jennings (jason@spray-tech.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 13:02:21 EST

This will fit a 360, I am going to assume the 318 has the same pulley
sizes. I never worked on my 318 Ram 1500. It should work just fine
though. Try looping a string around the pulleys, minus the power
assistance and A/C. Note, BIG NOTE.... The free spin pulley above the
water pump is routed in the opposing direction with the short belt. The
water pump will still spin the right way as long as you measure it this
way. This is the only pulley that changes directions. This is for
measuring purposes. Once you get the belt. you will notice it can only
fit one way. You should have a diagram under the hood for a 318 minus
A/C, and with A/C. Notice when you remove the A/C and the power
assistance you need to change the looping on that one pulley above the
water pump and to the passenger side of the A/C. I love my short belt.
I shaved off a tenth or so with the belt alone. I needed to lower tire
pressure for traction though. I only recommend this belt for track use.
I sux parking a R/T without power assistance. Good Luck, Have Fast Fun.

" 5060538 Dayco belt "
-This translates into a 6 rib belt that is 53.8" long.

I don't remember off hand what the NAPA p # is, but I will give it a
shot.

It was something like, 0539 for the end, and had the NAPA front part
numbers. The guy at the counter should be able to reference the NAPA
number with the length and Dayco name. My NAPA part list is at home
sorry.

Jason
2/19/99 1:00 PM