RE: Mopar Headers

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 18:16:22 EST

No, installing Mopar Headers will not void your warranty. Even if you
install another brand of headers, JBA for instance, you do not void your
warranty. Just don't expect the dealer to install new header gaskets under
warranty if the bolts get loose and burn out the gaskets. Nor will they R/R
your headers if they fail. If you install Mopar Headers, you will have to
remove the headers your self or at your cost and then take them in for
replacement, if those parts are still under their warranty. Mopar parts have
different warrantys than factory parts.

If you have to take your truck in for service, the only way a dealer can
deny you warranty service is if they can prove that your modification caused
the failure. Even then, they cannot deny service on parts that control or
monitor smog controls in your vehicle. There was a law passed a couple of
years ago, and I do not have the details or a URL in front of me, that said
that even if your modifications caused the failure of the smog control
device, and everyone knows it, that the repairs will still be covered under
warranty. An example of this would be if you installed larger injectors,
your engine runs excessivly rich and burns up the cat converter. The
dealer/manufacturer, will have to replace the cat under warranty. There is a
limitation to this and I believe it is 50,000 miles, but again, I do not
have the details here in front of me. Now, if you install headers, do not
pay attention to the routing of a vacuum hose going to the master cylinder,
and your breaks fail. That would not be covered under warranty. Neither
would a damaged head because you cross threaded the header bolts or if the
headers caused the head to crack, and the dealer can prove the failure was
caused by the header.

Hope this helps

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Leach (Mopar) Headers, DDBC

<snip>
Does installing mopar headers void your warranty?
<unsip>