ratio

From: Drew Schofield (droopie@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 11:46:48 EST

Gearing Table:
                A-500 A-518
1st 2.74 2.45
2nd 1.54 1.45
3rd 1.00 1.00
OD 0.69 0.69

Torque multiplication table with 3.55 and 3.92:

           Effective overall gear ratio
                 A-500 A-518
                3.55 3.92 3.55 3.92

1st 9.73 10.74 8.70 9.60
2nd 5.47 6.04 5.15 5.68
3rd 3.55 3.92 3.55 3.92
OD 2.45 2.71 2.45 2.71

We know that for the gear ratio in the differential, say 3.55, for every

revolution of the drive shaft, the axle turns 3.55 times
So if I am interpreting this right, then in 1st gear (A518) one
revolution of
the planetarys turns the output shaft (hence the driveshaft) 2.45 times
which
turns the rear axle 8.7 times.
Comparing to the A500; One revolution of 1st gear turns the drive shaft
2.74
times which turns the axle 9.73 times.
That would mean the A500 has more torque in 1st then the A518. It seems
that a
318/500/3.92 Posi would be a killer combo, but even this article says
the A518
has more torque capacity.

--

It's the other way around. for every 3.55 turns of the DRIVESHAFT the axles turn 1 time.

Drew Schofield Visit my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/tn/page4drew