Re: Re: Mopar/Leach vs. JBA Headers Performance Stats

From: Dak99RT@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 17:14:04 EST

In a message dated 2/20/99 8:33:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, erich@dhc.net
writes:

<< >Truckin magazine did
>a story on the MOPAR header & cat-back install on
>a Dodge Ram SS/T truck and this upgrade only produced
>5 to 6 hp's at the rear wheels on a roller dyno.

 Here is my experience, I raced a friend of my's truck when my was bone stock
 900 miles. I lost with about 1 truck length from start and all the way up to
 60 where we stopped. Yesterday we raced again after I have installed MP
 headers and a home made 3" catback with Supertrapp glasspack muffler and 18
 discs. The results: we pulled even. He's truck spec.
 91 Dakota CC 5.2 2wd 75000 miles
 MP Cam
 MP computer
 3" after cat to muffler, dual after muffler
 K/N filter
 MP sparkwires
 3.9 rearend

 My truck spec
 99 Dakota R/T CC 5.9 2wd 3500 miles
 MP headers
 3" after cat all the way back to supertrapp
 K/N filtercharger
 3.9 rearend

 My point is, I do think you gain more than 5-6 HP with headers and catback

 Swede/
 99 R/T Dakota CC
 Black & Loaded
 Mail: dakota_rt99@hotmail.com

I'm not being pessimistic Swede but, are you saying that he had all that stuff
when you raced him when you were bone stock and had 900 miles and he still had
the same setup when you raced him again? But this time you had put on the
headers, K&N and 3" cat back exhaust? If I am right here, by simply pulling
even with him...you only gained about 10 HP from your mods...assuming the
rule-of-thumb...I car/truck length equals about 10 HP in 13-16 second
cars/trucks. I just want to get a clear view of the performance gains of a
$800+ exhaust system for my R/T. Anyone feel free to comment...are these
accurate numbers?
Charles