Re: More traction (Attn: Jason)

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 22:24:44 EST

<<That's why I'm waiting until the truck is paid off, so I'll have the extra
funds to foot the bill. Personally, I'd rather wait and get the lift I want
rather than compromise. But that's just my opinion, of course.>>

No argument from me... I think Kyles got the right idea. Be patient and get
what ya really want. My problem is patients is not my strong suite! :-)

<<> What I really need right now is more traction! I started a little slush
> fund to purchase and install the Powertrax locker that's supposed
> to be out
> this summer for the '97+ 29 spline rear axle... They don't have any
> product literature out yet, but the emails I've received from Powertrax
> indicates it will be a real locker and not a lsd.

Do you have an e-mail or web site for Powertrax? I want to find out if
they're also planning on making that for the pre-97 axle, and pester them
incessantly if they aren't.>>

What's your email address?? I'll forward the correspondence I had with Bill
Eagan... It includes his email address. They don't have a web page that I know
of.

<<> I was also considering a
> lsd for the front axle, but I'm really worried about the strength of that
> little FIAA thingy. ;~)

Pardon my ignorance, but what's an FIAA thingy?>>

In the '97+ 4x4's we have an FIAA 194 front axle and I haven't got the foggiest
clue who makes it or how it compares to say a Dana 40 or 60. Not sure about the
pre '97 front axles.

<<From everything I've heard, our front axles don't lend themselves very well
to any sort of traction aid other than possibly an air locker
(theoretically, I don't think they actually make them). From what I
remember, it's something to do with the fact that it doesn't fully disengage
from the wheels in 2wd mode. It's been a while, but I could try to dig up
more specifics if you need them.>>

I'm not positive but I think ARB (air lockers) does make something for our front
axles but that's a whole nother wad of cash! My understanding is that a lsd up
front would not severely affect drivability on the street, but you need a fairly
sturdy axle to handle the added stress.

Tom