checking tie rods

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 09:38:13 EST

"I replaced my idler arm about 5,000 miles ago and looked over the rest
of the
steering linkage parts. I have a question concerning the tie rod ends.
How do
I know they need to be replaced? I can get under my Dakota and grab the
tie
rod, both the drivers/passenger side, and I am able to turn/wiggle the
tie rod
back and forth; this leads to tell me that the tie rod ends need to be
replaced. I have heard also that you can tell they need replacing is to
jack
the front tires off the ground and if they are bad the tire will have
play in
it when jiggling it up and down. Any suggestions on this? No biggie if I
have
to put new ones on, I just want to know if I really have to do it now or
if it
can wait. Thanks
Kyle "

-Kyle,
  to check your tie rod ends, you do need to jack the front end off the
ground. Then, with a side to side (like you were turning) motion of a
tire, see if you feel any slop. Good parts will only let you push the
tire back and forth with resistance. A worn part will allow a bit of
play before you feel the resistance. On your 4X4, up and down movement
to the wheel shows ball joint play, usually the lower is easier to
detect than the upper. Put a long pry bar under the tire and lift up
and down while a buddy looks for movement of the ball joints.
  Back to the tie rods. After you wiggle a tire back and forth, look at
each tie rod while someone wiggles the tire for you. You are looking
for slop compared to the piece the tie rod is connected to. It used to
be you could grab the tie rods and push them up and down to check, and
they usually were bad if you got play that way, but the new MAP
standards allow only side to side motion.
  To address you last concern. You will normally be able to rotate a
tie rod back and forth on its socket. They need to be able to rotate
like that to be able to go around turns and go up and down over bumps.
Patrick