Red Line (was: Rev limiters...) -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 17:01:07 EST

You can run up over the redline, but the engine makes no more power
after it. The redline is when the RPM's don't go up no more and the
engine can't wind any faster.. that's when valves start to float and things
start to break. Usually, the engine's Power Peak is several hundred
RPM's before the redline so you don't have to hang out too close to it..
then God created the Rev limiter, to keep people like us from hangin' out
WAY too close =)

-mike d.

>>> Robert Trottmann <rotrottmann@davidson.edu> 02/20/99 02:08pm

So what exactly IS a redline? Does it hurt the engine to take it over
redline?
If not, who cares what it is?
Just wonderin. Doesn't really matter to me 'cause I've got an auto. :-)(
(love it/hate it)
-Hood Killa

Vladimir Ryall wrote:

> Trucks are not just for hauling junk around town and muddin' anymore.
> Hello, it's 1999 ace.
>
> Vladimir "FASRAM"
> Home: http://home.austin.rr.com/fasram/
> Member: http://www.indyram.org/

Cam,
> > Lifters, and Rockers had a redline of 7200rpm (and 408 Cubic
Inches...not