Re: Suspension lift vs. Body lift

From: David Henry (dhenry@advdata.net)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 21:00:24 EST

>I plan on getting TrailMaster's 4" Lift sometime in the late fall of 99,
>possibly early 2000; I am going to get the 4" kit with the front skid
plate,
>dual front steering stabilizers, and dual shock mounts and dual shocks at
each
>corner. I also plan on putting on some HD torsion bars, made by
Sway-A-Way. As
>far as tires and rims, I am waiting to hear from TrailMaster on that;
wrote
>them a 3 page letter with questions concerning recommended rim
backspacing,

That's almost what I have now. Dual shocks all around. Still need to do
the stabilizer though. I gave up trying to find aftermarket T Bars. I got
HD ones from the factory, cause it was all that I could find.

>of 3 3/4 inches for the rim. I local 4WD shop, that is very good and has
been
>in business for 15+ years, looked at the manual and told me they would do
the
>lift, mount the tires, the torsion bars and do an alignment for $800; I am
>currently looking at two more shops to see what they charge. The kit it
self
>with the optional accessories I think will run about $1750. The HD torsion

I think that's about what I paid for labor.

>bars are $200. Maybe some HD rear springs will be in the works also, but
that
>just a another $85 per side for 2500 pound rater leafs; not too bad! I
will
>also eventually swap out my gears(3.55's) for 3.9's, to compensate for the

I still need to do gears and tires (along with some fender mods to avoid
rubbing), and a body lift. I had custom build rear springs with a 4" drop
built in to avoid the annoying axle wrap problems that would only get worse
with blocks.

>will be very intensly satisfied with it. My truck just hit 101,000 miles
>today, so bascially the suspension will be brand new after the lift and I
will
>finally have the truck I want! Can't wait after planning this lift for 3
>years!
>
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6

I had to wait about that long before the first part of the suspension got
done.

David Henry '94 CC 4x4 318 5Spd in MI