Re: SBEC Cracking

From: Kevin Rankin (Krrankin@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 07:32:55 EST

At 11:40 AM 2/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Ya now what I just thought of in reference to tinkering with the SBEC.
>You're going to need a way of pulling the data out of the Chips, and
>analyzing the bit streams of the micro. What can potentially happen in
>the design is a multiplexing scheme. If you need x amount of bits to
>access y amount of memory. You can use x-z number of addressing pins on

<snip>

>Kool-Aide
>a.k.a. Jason
>2/23/99 11:31 AM

I'm not 100% positive (i'll see if I still have the posting on it), but
When I was on the Neon list, they talked about trying to crack the sbec
(OBDII). There was talk about a password setup into the SBEC to prevent
tampering. You would get three attempts, and then the computer would "lock
you out" and you would have to go to the dealer for replacement.
Supposedly, the scantool available to Mopar techs uses your VIN # and an
algorithm to create the password the sbec is looking for. Anybody ever
heard of this for the DAKS??

Kevin Rankin
KRRankin@earthlink.net

"Out of the modem, through the server,