Re: B&M Tranny Pan Drain Plug

From: RAS002@worldnet.att.net
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 13:42:53 EST

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:04:00 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:37:30 EST
>From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
>Subject: DML: B&M Tranny Pan Drain Plug
>
>Next time I do a tranny fluid/filter change I would like to install B&M's
>tranny pan drain plug kit, it's only $7.50. Has anyone had experience with
>this drain plug kit??? This would make the process alot easier and cleaner to
>do. I was just concerned about making sure the parts stayed screwed together
>and didnt either A) come off and get up in my transmission or B) fall off and
>allow all the tranny fluid to leak out. I am not worried that much about the
>drain plugs staying in palce, more concerned about the housing that gets
>screwed together for the drain plug to go into. It seems all I would have to
>do is drill a hole on the pan and the parts screw together and the drain
>plug/bolt gets screwed into the housing. Does Loctite make a product that
>would be safe to use to keep the housing intact, temperaturewise??? I know
>normal red Loctite works great, so does the blue, but I am just concerned
>about the temperature the Loctite can handle before breaking down and
>returning to a listate and then it getting mixed into my tranny fluid and
>causing havoc. Any suggestions? THANKS.
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6
>101,800 miles

Kyle - this is exactly what I did when I installed the Transgo kit
several weeks ago. I put lock-tite (blue - it was all I had) on the
threads where the two pieces "sandwich" the pan. The nylon gasket to
the outside, and a small wrap of teflon tape on the drain plug. Be sure
to use a backup wrench on the "thru bolt" when tightening the drain plug
so you don't accidently mess up it's seal... It's hard to explain where
I put it, but it's on the "angle" part of the pan - looking down on it
from above and behind, about 1:00 o'clock. The axis of the plug is
angled down about 45?. Hope it made sense.

                Later,

                        Russ Selkirk

--
'96 Black Impala SS