Re: RE: Auto vs. Stick (Holy War)

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 17:12:27 EST

I think the perfect solution is a system that I have seen articles done on
prototypes, but nobody has the spherical globes to build... It's basically
a 5-speed (or 6) manual, with a hydraulic actuator for the clutch, and
actuators for the stick... basically it's a true auto-stick, that will take
over all aspects of shifting when you want it too, or you can take over when
you want... either shifting, clutch, or both... one I read about had
pressure sensors on the stick.. when you pushed it to go to the next gear,
it put in the clutch, and when you got to the next gear, it let it back
out...

this could be done with or without engine rev control (computer could
attempt to match RPM's if it was sophisticated enough for smooth running, or
let the engine hit the limiter & speed shift it)

I think it was in Popular Mechanics, or Popular Science.. but have never
seen a system for sale anywhere, for any price...

Gary Shook

P.S. FWIW, I didn't think that my '96 Ram 1500 CC 5.2L Stick was that hard
in traffic.. the torque band was so wide, I was able to minimize shifting (I
think VLAD said that 5-6 shifts was too much work for each stop-go... I did
it with 1 shift many times... start in second, and let it rev pretty good
(30 mph) and shift right to 4th... which was good to 55 with no problems...
any faster than that, and the traffic's not that bad..

P.S.S I used to handle traffic w/ my '68 charger 4-speed (maybe that's why
I thought the truck wasn't that bad) NO power steering, very heavy 12"
clutch, looooong throw Hurst shifter... and no A/C (in Phoenix)