Re: Did I stump everyone or what?4x4 question

From: Walter_Felix (Walter_Felix@email.msn.com)
Date: Sat Feb 27 1999 - 10:02:34 EST

Also think of your transfer case as a two speed gear box. When your in 2H &
4H you have a 1:1 gear ratio meaning for every one revolution of the output
shaft of the tranny (the input side of the Transfer case), you get one
revolution of the outputs of the transfer case (Drive Shafts).
When you shift into 4L the gear ratio changes to 2.5:1. Every 2.5 in
becomes 1 out. Your engine RPMs have to be 2.5 times higher to produce the
same wheel speed. Most automotive engines are designed to produce the most
torque specific RPM ranges. Automotive engines are usually designed for
maximum torque at higher RPM range unlike marine engines that produce
maximum torque at a lower RPM range.

Walter Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4
WWW.GeoCities.Com/~Walter_Felix