Re: Threads:Exhaust Manifold/Broken Stud(HELP)

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 27 1999 - 18:13:39 EST

<< Stupid me, I deleted your post asking if the exhaust manifolds were
 threaded... I finally found where I put mine, and there are no threads in
 the bolt holes. Note mines a '98 but I'd be really surprised if they
 changed that aspect of the design.

 If I were you, I'd get that sheared bolt out and replace it... There was
 no gasket between the stock manifold and the block so the seal depends on
 those bolts.

Thanks alot Tom, the info is greatly appreciated, especially about the part
about not having a gasket/sealant on those manifolds!! Now the problem is what
will the best/easiest way to get that broken stud out of there? Will simply
spraying it down a couple of times with penetrant and using a bolt extractot
work?????Now that I know the stud has to be threaded into the engine block,
how do I know how far it is threaded into the block??? I guess I could just
order some manifold bolts/studs from the dealer to determine this; as they
shouldn't/cannot be that expensive. I guess what I am trying to determine is
say I get the broken stud out, how far in should I screw the new bolt/stud
into the block??? Here is what kind I see now on my Dak V6 4x4:
*****The pass. side manifold, from the radiator to the firewall, has a stud
wuth a nut; then another stud with a nut, then the remaining 2 are simply bolt
heads.
*****The driver's side manifold, from the radiator to the firewall, the first
2 are bolt heads, followed by a stud with a nut and then the hole closest to
the firewall is the broken one. Is it recessed in the hole about 1/2", if
that.
Or do I assume this bolt/stud will simply have a hex head on it and I will
just tighten it down to the manifold? The other manifold bolts have threads
sticking out and nuts on them or hex/bolt headto keep them tight. How do I
know which type I will need?
THANKS ALOT TO ALL WHO HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON THIS!!!!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6