Re[4]: Threads:Exhaust Manifold/Broken Stud(HELP)

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Feb 28 1999 - 17:12:51 EST

<<Should I assume the last bolt/stud closest to the firewall, the one that is
broke off, is a stud with a nut on it? I went out today and got 3 cans of
penetrant; geesh that better be enough!! I will order the set of 4 bolts/studs
for the driver's side manifold tomorrow. Sometime later this week, I will go
out an search for a good bolt/screw extractor set. Thanks alot man for all
your input and info on this! It is greatly appreciated!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6>>

Yeah, the book shows the drivers side manifold with two studs closest to the
firewall. You would screw the stud into the block and then use a nut and washer
to hold the manifold in place. I wouldn't think you need or want to really
crank the stud into the block --just make sure it is fully threaded into the
block. The best way I can think of to do this would be to put a nut on one end
of the stud, slip a flat washer (lubricate it first) on and then put on another
nut. That way you can put a wrench or socket on it in case you can't thread it
into the block by hand. Again, fully seated into the block but only hand tight
should do the trick for the stud.

Three cans of lubricant?, WOW! Your not going to be able to walk on the garage
floor when your done! :-)

Tom