Re: Washing the Dak Blues!

From: Elmer Hanhart (hanharte@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Feb 28 1999 - 23:06:11 EST

It does depend somewhat on the type of paint that is used, but this
really only applies if you got something repainted. I used to work in
the washbay at my dealership, and we waxed every final that came
through. New or used. My truck got waxed about 2 weeks after I got it. I
didn't wait because of being scared, it just didn't rain or anything to
justify washing it. I wax my truck pretty often (every 1-2 months) and
have yet to have a problem w/ the paint. Our dealership has never had a
complaint about a new cars paint either. I would recomend a good paste
carnuba wax for longest lasting. Remember the harder it is to take off
by hand, the longer it takes for washes/rain to take it off. I use
mothers paste wax myself. I like the product, but mostly use it because
I got 10 cans for $10 when a local auto-parts store went out of business
(I knew the owner).

Going back to waiting, if you had a fender replaced/repainted do not wax
the fender. Aftermarket paint jobs do need a little time to set-up. I've
alxays been told about 6 weeks. The paint can get wavey looking if you
wax it too soon (I've seen it happen). I am very familiar w/ paint shops
as I deliver all their parts to them, and get to ask them all kinds of
stupid questions.

Erich