RE: Re: 5 Speed vs. Automatic -Reply -Reply

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 09:02:03 EST

Nope. I'm sure you can convert them though...(The Muncie M-22 was only a
4spd with straight cut gears. Mainly came on the BB Chevys and also custom
ordered vehicles from GM.

The Richmond 6spd can be ordered from Summit Racing ($1200-$1500) but you
can select the gears you want before it's shipped.

I had an automatic in my old Camaro when I first bought it (TH350) but in
order for it to withstand the 450+ HP and TQ from the BB motor, it would
have required major upgrades to hold up. (Same went for the TH400.)
Sooooo...We converted the car from Auto to Stick and never had to worry
about the tranny. The only reason for the 6spd conversion was highway
cruising speed and mileage. (Yes, it actually got 16mpg from a BB Chevy -
Fuel Injection and all the goodies.)