Re: RE: Premag vs. Mag

From: Mike D. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 17:05:47 EST

so you're sayin' that Magnum heads will work on a premag? Where's my
catalog? =)

-mike d.

88, 6er, LE, 3.55, Slush-o-matic, headers, Flowmaster, TekStyle Tonneau,
and more.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/1133
miggitymike@juno.com
          "The only reason a Dakota will beat a Ranger is because of the
engine"
                                      - Disgruntled Ranger Owner

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:25:47 -0700 Gary Shook <gary.shook@mci.com> writes:
>The heads are interchangeable, but you must match the intake to the
>heads..
>the intake bolt holes go straight into the head (~45deg angle) on
>pre-magnums, but on magnums they are vertical... Mopar Muscle did an
>article
>late last year that showed about 70 HP more by putting Magnum heads on
>340...
>
>The valvetrain is also different... the pre-magnums used a oiled shaft
>that
>the rockers pivoted on, while the Magnum heads use a hollow pushrod
>for
>oiling, and use a rocker stud setup... so actually, the Magnum heads
>don't
>need oiling holes.. (they get oil through the pushrod)
>
>I also think that the pre-Magnum didn't use a roller cam (Magnum does)
>and I
>think they went from a dual-plane intake design to the keg-barrel
>style the
>Magnum uses
>
>I could probably find more exact descriptions if you like, let me know
>if
>this answers your questions adequately.
>
>Gary Shook
>
>>My '91 Ramcharger was a pre-mag motor. It had throttle body injection
>(the
>>magnums have multi port). The main difference is the heads. The way
>the
>>intake bolts to the heads is different, and I believe the oil
>passages
>>might not line up the same (not sure about this).
>>
>>----------
>>> From: Dan Matthews <dakota_v6_89@hotmail.com>
>>> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>>> Subject: Re: DML: RE: Premag vs. Mag
>>> Date: Friday, February 26, 1999 6:29 PM
>>>
>>> Thanks for the horsepower comparison , but i was really wondering
>what
>>> made the Mag different from the Premag. What kinda component
>differences
>>> on the engine.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]