Re: Fw: Help! 99 Dak won't start!

From: JeffofSLU@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 20:32:50 EST

flyboy01@worldnet.att.net writes:

<<
 The past 3 mornings, I have had trouble starting.

 Day 1, crank for 5 sec, won't start, crank again for 5 sec, started but rpm's
came up slowly.

 Day 2, Cranked for 10 sec, finally started, rpms came up slowly.

 Day 3, Cranked for 5 sec, rpm's came up slowly.

 Day 4, Today, cranked continually for a cumulative time of about 3 minutes!
Still has not started. If cranked for a long time, it starts to catch but
never does start.

 I had the same problem with my 94 5.2L Dak, Now with a 99 and the same
engine, I have it again! The problem seem to be related to weather, low 30's
and a lot of moisture (fog or snow).

 On my 94, I replaced 4 fuel pumps, 5 distributor caps, 2 sets of plug wires,
2 sets of spark plugs, 1 throttle body, and 1 coil. 2 years later, after
living with the problem, It died on me one day and the dealer found a corroded
power wire to the computer. It worked after that.

 I dont think that the problem is related to corrosion on my 99, its only 5
months old! I have added the following:

 MSD 6-A
 MSD Blaster III coil
 Edelbrock Headers & Y-pipe (The problem did start the day after I installed
them)
 Flowmaster 3"
 K&N Air filter
 Ported throttle body
 180 Degree thermostat

 The only similarities between the the 94 and 99 is the K&N and the
flowmaster.

 Could I have damaged the O-2 sensor?
 Why does this only happen in cold, damp weather?

 If anyone can help me lick this problem I would be in debt to you forever!

 Mark
 99 Dakota 5.2L 5-speed
 flyboy01@worldnet.att.net

Mark,
        I don't think this has any thing to do with the MSD. On my 1995, the truck
won't even try to crank if every wire isn't hooked up right. How did the truck
run when it did crank, was it diffirent in any way? Did it ever run for awhile
and die? Try this: have someone put the key in the ignition and turn it to the
"on" position, while you listen by the gas tank. Hopefully, you will here your
fuel pump prime. If you don't, there's your problem. This doesn't necessarily
mean that there is anything wrong with the fule pump, though. A clogged fuel
filter believe it or not, will prevent the fuel pump from priming (don't ask
me how, I just know it did it to me) as will a bad sending unit.
Good luck and I hope this helps, I know it sucks when your truck strands you,
happened to me a few times too.

Jeff