Re: Re[4]: Questions:V6 FABM/FIPK

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 17:53:14 EST

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, mike kulczycki wrote:

> maybe this spring i will venture more into this.... i really would like
> to put an s-bolt, then i could probly fit a 14" FABM in there... i will
> have to try it being cold. i can't remember how hot or cold the tb
> was... i know it was in the summer, and the throttle body being
> aluminum, i am worried about cracking it... so i will probly just try
> putting a longer bolt in place of the stock one.... how did you cut off
> the old bolt?? i was thinking of finding some big bolt cutters or
> something, because i don't want to get metal shavings down the tb...
> thanks,
> mike k
> 94, slt, v6, 2wd , stuff...

   Mike,

  From what you've said so far, it sounds almost like you tried to
remove the carridge bolt without removing the bracket from the TB first.
  If that's the case, I'm not surprised that the bracket broke. Here's
the deal: (warning, bad ASCII graphics follow!) :-)

Here's a "side view" of the throttle body bores... This is sort've
what it would look like if you were on the driver's side of the engine
bay, looking across the TB.

                          || <---- Carridge bolt which has wing nut on top
                          || to hold the air can lid on and poke
        Bracket ______, || through Trottmann's hood.
                      | ||
                      | ||
Bolt which ---> #### V #### <--- Lock nut which keeps the carridge bolt
holds bracket ==||=======||=== from dropping down into the TB bores
to TB -----> || | |
       ----------||--, ------ .-----------
                 || | |
                     | | <----- TB bore
                     |_________________|

                The intake manifold is down here

  All you have to do is put a socket on the "Bolt which holds bracket to TB"
and unscrew it. Then the bolt, the carridge bolt, and the entire bracket
will come off of the TB. Now you can hack on it all you want without
worrying about damaging the TB. I used a wrench and a pair of pliers to
take the carridge bolt out of the bracket and replace it with a longer one,
but later I just removed the entire bracket and put an S bolt in. (I
got a piece of (1/4"?) non-threaded rod, bent it up in a vise, then used
a die to tap the ends.) If you were to replace the bracket/carridge bolt
setup above with an S bolt, this is what it would look like:

                          //
                         //
                        //
                       // <------ "S" bolt