Tailgate squeak

From: Randy Fox (foxra@nad.adventist.org)
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 19:44:06 EST

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Anyone run into a problem with tailgate squeak?
I've tried to chase it down with no success.
Only happens over rough roads; most annoying.

SteveRT
_______________________________

Reply:

Are you sure it's your tailgate? My R/T had an annoying squeak and it
turned out to be the rear sway bar. The dealer removed it completely
and greased all the fittings. It was almost impossible to tell where it
was
coming from (it sounded like the rear bumper or tailgate) but if someone

pushed the bumper down so it would make the noise, I felt around on the
rear suspension and could feel the friction on the rubber bushings for
the
rear sway bar. It didn't start until about 11K and only when going over

speedbumps in parking lots. Hope that helps you. Squeaks will drive
you crazy--especially in a new truck!

Randy Fox
'98 FR R/T CC