Update: Gear Clank

From: Kevin Rankin (KevinRankin@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 08:29:15 EST

Brief summary. I have a gear clank in the r/f wheel area between 0-40 mph.
All accessories must be off, and engine speed makes no difference in the
noise, only vehicle speed. Kinda sounds like a 4x4 hub that isn't
disengaged fully (gear tooth clatter).
Took to dealer#1 (who will remain unnamed). "Sorry, don't hear the noise.
Can you take a test drive?" So I leave work, and drive with the tech, and
he hears it (it's always there). Three hours later, I get a call, "The
noise is definately there, don't know where it's coming from, though.
That'll be $75" (out of warranty) - So I tell the guy that he can either
keep the truck until he finds it, or I'm not paying squat. He tells me to
get the truck. I tell him he's not getting paid. I can see if they never
heard the noise, and charged me 1 hour diag, but not 1 1/2 hours to say
"Yup it's there, can't find it, pay me".
Took to dealer#2. First day, can't hear the noise due to rain drowning it
out. Day#2 - drive truck, can't here noise, take off from work and test
drive w/ tech. He hears noise now (maybe I should be a tech, got great
ears for strange noises). Go back to work, and I get a call 3 hours later.
 The noise is in the transfer case, will tear down tomorrow and give
estimate. I should have more info tonight, after work. Thanks god for
extended warranties.

96 Dak CC V8 4x4 auto

Kevin Rankin
KevinRankin@mindspring.com