Difference in Torque and Low End

From: Chad (mcc@negia.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 20:00:08 EST

Could someone explain to me the difference in torque and low end and how
they relate? I was under the impression that they were about the same.
It seems on the list thought that some say that putting on High Flow
mods will decrease back pressure which will increase torque, but allow
loss of low end power. If low end power isn't the amount of torque then
what is it?

I myself have no cat and a VERY HIGH flowing Dynomax Race Magnum and
have noticed no real loss in low end, and possibly a gain. I have a 95
3.9L 5 Speed.

I also have 2 and 1/4 inch pipes (I think, whatever stock is) and a
badly crimped Y-pipe on one side that could be aiding my back pressure
however.

Please Explain

Thanks,
        Chad Clifton