Performance Questions?

From: Tim (magnum318@bewellnet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 20:41:19 EST

From:Tim Roller>magnum318@bewellnet.com
3/4/99 6:30pm

 Just a couple of questions to get more performance out of our rigs:
   1: has anybody taken apart the distributor and have they noticed the old style spring loaded weights? I'm asking because if our distributors are of this type, will it work if you put on lighter springs to make it advance faster. This is an old performance trick
  2: I know that our trucks(V-8 at least) uses a timing chain which over time will stretch. Why isn't it possible to run with a gear timing assembly? I've seen in performance books that this isn't a do-able procedure for the newer Dodges but vertually all GM's can run this item. Is it because of the crank timing? I have a '95, I don't think it uses the crank timing method--I could be wrong, there is a lot of sh*t down there at the crank.