Re: MSD 6A - good investment??

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 16:53:09 EST

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 WillTier@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/3/99 3:12:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> jlee@atlanta.nsc.com writes:
>
> << I've noticed a number of guys with the MSD 6A ingnition module on their
> V8 Daks. Has anybody noted a significant improvement with this addition
> - ie. is it worth the $170 investment.
> >>

> NO ! Atleast not on my 93 and similar experiences with Jacobs on a 96 and I
> think 97. I have a MSD6A but have a switch setup and only use it when running
> juice. When not running juice I switch back to stock. I have and can verify a
> .2 seconds and 2 mph loss in 1/4 mile runs. There was also a noticeable loss
> of power on hills (Hills I could normally pull without it shifting out of OD
> will slow down and shift down with the MSD. It is apparently a Mopar Magnum V8
> scenario but if I didn't need retard for the juice it would not be on there.
> Save your money the ignitions on these things have to be good to meet the EPA
> requirements and still have performance .
>
> I have heard of several who say they feel a improvement but I don't know of
> any verified improvements from using the MSD or any other aftermarket igniton.

  I think it probably depends on how you want to use it... I've also
heard people say their truck started better, ran smoother, etc. with
an aftermarket ignition, but I've also seen Bill lose a bracket race
by exactly .2 because he forgot to switch off the MSD after a nitrous run.

  I plan to run nitrous someday, so I'm going to get an ignition (probably
MSD6A), but I'm going to wire it up similar to Bill's setup. Due to the
improved smoothness and such, I plan to run the MSD most of the time on
the street, but once I hit the track, that thing will stay off unless I
need the retard feature. (Assuming I get the same decrease in times that
others have experienced; I'll test it first, of course.)

  So... I guess the answer is, is it worth it for the track? Probably
not. But if you want it for improved streetability, then maybe...
Depends on how much $170 means to you. :-)

                                              -Jon-