RE: skid plates on order

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 21:34:45 EST

.

> Also, I hope I am not bugging either about having the dealer do it, just
> thought you might want to know next time. For $25 at Pep Boys you
> can get a
> plug in trailer/wiring harness kit for towing. No wire cutting,
> just unplug
> the harness at the rear of your Dak and plug it in. This way
> when/if you get
> ride fo the truck you can still return it the way you got it.
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

No problem, I thought about doing it myself. I would have thought about it
even more seriously had I known that the holes were already drilled.

Problem is that Chrysler is pretty much weenies where the lease and warranty
are concerned. Chrysler Canada seems to be much more so than in the US. I
had to have an oil leak fixed under warranty after moving up here, and
Chrysler Canada wouldn't honor the warranty since the truck was sold in the
US. In order to get it put on a Canadian warranty I would have had to get
the speedo converted to kilometers among other undesirable things.

When I told the dealer it was a US truck, they said, "oh, if we knew that we
would have just sent it to Chrysler US in the first place, no problem."

Chrysler Canada also told us not to put a spray-in bed liner in the '98.
Part of me wants to go ahead and do it anyway, but since we get the truck
serviced there, I don't want them slapping some BS modification charge on
us. The lease papers we signed state that Chrysler dealers are the only
ones allowed to make modifications to the vehicle. The manager at the
dealership told us that this all comes from Chrysler themselves, not the
dealer. We also asked about helper springs for a camper (possibly some
day), and he said we're not supposed to put those in either, but to just go
ahead and do it since they almost certainly won't notice. The bedliner he
said they would be pretty upset about, even though it increases the value as
far as I'm concerned. Like I said, they're weenies.

Okay, I'll step off the soapbox now. They're charging us $180 Canadian for
the hitch, plus installation. I know you mentioned that JC Whitney sells
them for $85 US on sale (that's about $130 CDN), but we've had really bad
luck having things shipped up from the US (UPS charged us $32 for a "customs
broker fee" on a $60 memory card, and before that the post office destroyed
some glassware my mom had marked "fragile" and won't honor the insurance she
paid for since it's international).

Chrysler also charged me $50 for a parking brake pedal assembly for the '95,
but since I'm buying that one and it's out of warranty anyway, I'm putting
it on myself, thank you very much.

Jason Bleazard
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd