Thermostat Questions -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 16:24:31 EST

You'll do good to get a 180 stat. It keeps the engine cooler and a cooler
engine is a more efficient engine. You shouldn;t have any problems with
not reaching operating temp or anything like that. On paper, it's only
worth maybe 2 or 3 HP, but you'll get better gas mileage and the truck will
run cooler sitting in traffic. It's a good investment if you are planning on
headers and stuff like that later on. I say, go for it! =) The down side is, it
will take slightly (emphasis on slightly) longer to warm up in the severe
cold, but will still keep you plenty toasty...
hope this helps =)

-mike d.

>>> <GrnDak4x4@aol.com> 03/07/99 11:59pm >>>
I am planning on replacing my thermostat within the next week or so. I
would
like to know how effective or what is the point of getting an aftermarket
'power stat' like those made by Hypertech. My stock tstat is 195 degrees.
How
will altering the temp affect performance??? I really enjoy how much
truck
will come up to its normal spot on the temp guage and rarely if never
move; I
do not want it do get hotter. What temp are these aftermarker tstats
going to
be?? I saw Hypertech's as saying this "Low-temp tstats improves
performance in
2 ways: by increasing the mass flow rate of intake air and by reducing
the
engines tendency to detonate, allowing the engine to safely develop
more
horsepower." Are these aftermarket tstats avaiable for Magnum V6's? I
noticed
also that Mr.Gasket makes Hi-Flo Tstats in 160&180 degrees. Basically I
need
to know if these are going to alter my engine negatively at ALL or should
just put in a normal tstat and also how does lowering the degree of the
tstat
help out with making more horsepower. THANKS ALOT!!!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6
101,700 miles