Overdrive

From: David Slocum (preacher@carolina.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 21:14:11 EST

Original Thread: Air Intake

----- Original Message -----
From: mrdancer <mrdancer@camalott.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 8:11 PM
Subject: DML: Re: Air Intake

<snipped for brevity>

  OTOH, engine/vehicle combinations are
>unique, and sometimes a little more fuel off-the-line will get you into OD
>quicker and help overall mpg - but who really knows? Sorry if I've
confused
>the issue.......

Can someone explain, in layman's terms ( !! ) Overdrive? What, exactly, is
it? How does it work? How does it improve gas mileage? Why does it sound as
if my Dak is working harder when I turn it off?

I had thought that Overdrive simply forced the tranny into a lower gear on
demand to give you a boost (like downshifting manually on a grade or to get
the torque neccessary to pass a BigRig quicky).

Preacher (Performance-engineering-impaired)
99 5.2L CC 4x4 SLT
http://fly.to/bastaards