Re: Ram Air waste of money?

From: Glen Renzoni (glenzoni@totacc.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 13:34:51 EST

For $175.00, I made the dual scoop ram air set up on my '95 Dakota. The
brunt of the cost was the '70 Coronet scoops from Year One (at $140.00, and
$10.00 for the AIR GRABBER decal for the airbox, also from Year one). The
rest of the setup was made from extra parts (two stock Dakota air tubes,
one from the '95, one left over from my '92), a stock round air filter
housing (converted to a duel snorkel set up), two air filter lids (one cut
down to 9", and one with a 5" center cut out and used as the base, with a
spacer). The rest consisted of two 3/4"x1/8" steel straps, 4 lag bolts, 4
springs, 4 wing nuts, some 5/16" vacuum tube, and some brazing and
painting (free by a friend). So, the ram air hood doesn't have to cost
allot (I've seen under hood cold air systems that were more than this). It
utilized a stock 9" K&N filter with two 3" air tubes fed by the twin
scoops. Pictures available of the hood, and the air box. Looks great
(IMHO), works great, and doesn't cost a ton of cash. Just a thought.