Re: Computer learning curve

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 19:07:09 EST

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Alan Short wrote:

> > I believe you notice your mods less when
> > initially installed due to the computer learning period.
> I have a question about the above statement.
> If the vehicle responds better to a modification after a few drive
> cycles, why do some say they turn faster times after "burping" the
> computer at the track? I don't know, either way seems the same to me.
> Any thoughts? Alan S.

   To rid the computer of any "pre-conceived notions". Before I get
to the track, I have to drive for an hour and a half, and if the
computer is optomized for that, it probably isn't going to be at
its fastest at the strip.

  You're right about the "drive cycles" though. Both Bill and I
reset the computers at the track at the beginning of the day, and
our 2nd runs are always faster than the 1st, and the 3rd is usually a
little faster than the 2nd, then the times seem to stay about the same.

                                              -Jon-