RE: Opinion about Sport Truck Connection -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@SU.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 21:33:11 EST

Ya' know, I gotta' hand it to Jon Apogee... dispite the slight flaming he
took on the list, he still managed to be a nice guy about it! That's cool!

-mike d.

>>> Jon and Mike <jonandmike@stconnection.com> 03/09/99 12:19am

Hi List,

Jon Apogee here, Executive Producer and Co-host of Sport Truck
Connection or
if you like "ball-less idiot"!

Perhaps "useless" is the wrong term. It was selected for those who
don't
care, or should I say can't relate to such info! ;-)

I think you and others on the list have a valid point and Mike and I will
address the "show" write-up in the next few days!

If you read my bio, you'll find that I was the former motorsports manager
for Mitsubishi and took them to a Class 7 (then, in '84 - '85, was modified
mini pick-ups i.e. D-50) win in both the HDRA and SCORE Championships.
I am
also raced formula cars and Pro Rally cars and headed up one of
Firestone's
teams that reintroduced performance tires back into Firestone and helped
get
the Firehawk race series off the ground. I only mention this to give you
the
proper insight when I tell you that "0-60" times and in particularly "g's"
have been a big part of my life and I don't take them lightly.

It is with this in mind that I will not use unsubstantiated or "factory
stated" performance numbers as some automobile magazines do. Either I
can
test it and back it up or I won't state it. There are plenty of books
(magazines) that give performance numbers, but don't really tell you
anything about the vehicle. This is usually because the writer hasn't
driven
the vehicle (if he even knows how to drive). I could tell you stories of my
days around Motor Trend in the late '70's early '80's and some of the so
called "pundits" and their inability to shift a car properly. One of their
technical editors that was probably the biggest idiot I have ever met (and
he lived at my house for a while so I can state this with some authority)
and the beginning of my disillusionment with the motoring press in
general.

I have been producing and writing "truck" oriented shows for about 4
years
now. (GEAR and Outdoorsman Trucking News) Mostly for other people
who don't
have a clue how to communicate via television. Sport Truck Connection
is a
show that Mike Vieira and I own and control the format.

Even before your post there was some discussion of content and
performance
and mileage and etc. being handled differently on the show.

It is feedback like yours and the list that help us decide who the audience
is and what they want. We think there is a place for a show that the
average
truck and SUV owner want to know about a vehicle and how it would be
to live
with day after day. I would venture to say that for the most part, the 600
plus membership of this list are not average, but enthusiasts and as such
are usually better informed and educated about your truck. I'm sure
when we
review a Dakota, you'll be able to tell us all the things we missed and
misunderstood. So tell us!

As for the K&N piece, it is not just an air cleaner, but rather a
replacement ram induction system. K&N has their own "in ground inertia
type"
dyno and test these set-ups, but I should point out they are their numbers
and they made the claim. Having said that I have seen some drastic
improvements to OE induction systems over the years as OE systems
usually DO
do a good job of choking the vehicles induction. I have also seen some
aftermarket kits that are worst than the OE set-up. Maybe someone on
the
list will or has installed one and own up to how good it was or wasn't.

Thanks for listening,

Jon Apogee

Marketing Matters
d.b.a. French Valley Productions

Producers of the "SPORT TRUCK CONNECTION" for Television

http://www.stconnection.com